|Mandalika's scratchpad||[ Work blog @Oracle | Stock Market Notes | My Music Compositions ]|
1. Most Oracle software installers need assembler
as) is not installed by default on Solaris 11.
Find and install
# pkg search assembler INDEX ACTION VALUE PACKAGE pkg.fmri set solaris/developer/assembler pkg:/email@example.com # pkg install pkg:/developer/assembler
Assembler binary used to be under /usr/ccs/bin directory on Solaris 10 and prior versions.
There is no /usr/ccs/bin on Solaris 11. Contents were moved to /usr/bin
2. Non-interactive retrieval of the entire list of disks that
format utility cannot show the entire list of disks in a single screen on stdout, it shows some and prompts user to
- hit space for more or s to select - to move to the next screen to show few more disks. Run the following command(s) to retrieve the entire list of disks in a single shot.
format < /dev/null -or- echo "\n" | format
3. Finding system wide file descriptors/handles in use
Run the following kstat command as any user (privileged or non-privileged).
kstat -n file_cache -s buf_inuse
Going through /proc (process filesystem) is less efficient and may lead to inaccurate results due to the inclusion of duplicate file handles.
4. ssh connection to a Solaris 11 host fails with error
Couldn't agree a client-to-server cipher (available: aes128-ctr,aes192-ctr,aes256-ctr,arcfour128,arcfour256,arcfour)
Solution: add 3des-cbc to the list of accepted ciphers to sshd configuration file.
svcadm -v restart ssh
5. UFS: Finding the last mount point for a device
fsck utility reports the last mountpoint on which the filesystem was mounted (it won't show the mount options though). The filesystem should be unmounted when running
# fsck -n /dev/dsk/c0t5000CCA0162F7BC0d0s6 ** /dev/rdsk/c0t5000CCA0162F7BC0d0s6 (NO WRITE) ** Last Mounted on /export/oracle ** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes ... ...
Labels: Oracle Solaris Tips